Monday, January 25, 2010

January 25, 2010-- Washing Clothes, Ouchy Hands, Stupid Malaria Pills!

January 25, 2010
I have decided the thing I miss most about home other than family and friends: a washer and dryer. Today was the roughest day for my hands yet. There should be some pictures on facebook now. But both of my hands were bleeding a little but everything is just rubbed raw. So when I put on hand sanitizer like I do often, OUCH!!!! So I even try not to make a fist or anything. But it is teaching me a lot about myself and discipline. I woke up this morning and headed to The House. Bathed Cho-JO and Priscilla and did laundry and hung them to dry. Most of the clothes are put on the greenery on the ground to dry though. I left then to what I thought I was going to the clinic but I was just so tired. I have decided to go to the clinic Tuesday and Thursday morning. I hope it works for them that I am going to make a schedule and not come every day. Elivs asked me “Why haven’t you been to the clinic?” And at first I was worried I have disappointed someone, but I think that I should only do what I can and I can do that. I need to give time and attention to the kids without wearing myself thin. Also, I will be starting to teach music classes at Pastor Incoom’s school maybe starting Thursday or Friday. This will be fun. It will be ages from Preschool to 12 years old. I don’t know what we will do, but I will figure it out. Teach them the sounds of music, little history, reading music, writing music, singing. But all basic enough for kids. He says they will try and get a piano in a month or so. So when I got home, I ate some bread and asked for oatmeal. I have also decided to not be so quiet about what I need, like eating. So I am working hard on having them teach me to make food instead of serving. So I hope I don’t come off as demanding and mean, but rather just letting them now I am hungry or something. I then slept until 1:30. I was so tired. I got up, peeled 4 oranges, 2 for me and one each for Mr. and Mrs. Incoom. They said I did a good job so that lifted my spirits. I then went back to the orphanage where the German girls, Annika and Theresea had brought paper, pens, and tracer things for the kids to color. It was very fun. I then got the call from mom telling me more about the side effects of the anti-malaria pill I was taking. We decided that I should go buy something else in Cape Coast and get off of that. It had some crazy side effects so I am glad we found out about it early. I then met with the bishop for a little bit and asked for Brother and Sister Saunders phone number to talk to them about the new Pill I will be taking. Then got a mailing address for the Incoom’s place in Cape Coast. Then I got my measurements for a shirt and a dress that a lady will be making. I will stop by next Tuesday for it. I hope it works out well. They call me Yaa (Thursday) instead of Lauren. I then decided to by some chocolate Hazlenut truffle to lighten my spirits and give me some energy. It was good, but it was 20 pesewas, so pretty expensive. I think I will just go and buy a big bag next time I can. For the rest of the night, I will eat some dinner. I am slowly getting my appetite back. I haven’t been eating much the two weeks since I have left home. So that is good. And I also like all but one food items: the fish. I will also go wash. The kids made a mess of me today. After that, I am going to Elvis’s house to talk with the girls about plans to go to Volta region this or next weekend and also about Cape Coast on Wednesday. I also asked AnnLuoise if I could get the Ghana music she had received since she was here so maybe I will grab that. I am still tired so hopefully I will be able to get some sleep. It is hot at night and it is not my bed so I don’t sleep to well, but it will work out. I am just glad to be here and I pray that I will be optimistic and keep an open mind to everything. I am trying hard to learn the language, but I keep forgetting what I learn. So the locals are trying to teach me, but I get tired of it very quickly when the speak fante instead of English to me, thinking I have already learned it. But I must be patient. The other thing I have learned Wa-home-te-san? What is your name? Thanks for everything!!! I will continue to be safe and travel safe!!! Thanks for the reminder mom and dad!!! Love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment