Wednesday, January 20, 2010

January 19, 2010-- Pineapple and Braids

January 19, 2010

Today was a very interesting day. I woke up at 6:15, was a little late to the orphanage, but I guess there is really no late and on time here. It was good to have Annita and Teresa there today. We washed cloths and my knuckles were almost rubbed raw. After that, I ran to Cape Coast to grab some cloth. I got some other things too but I really just wanted to get a feel for the town and also how it is to travel alone. I asked everyone if it is okay, and they said it is perfectly fine during the day. When I got off the Choo-Choo a guy was like “What are you looking for?” I said “Pineapple” and he took me right there. I bought the pineapple and left some money, and she ran after me to give it back to me. The people are wonderful. I got help finding a CHoo-Choo back to Asebu but any guys help. I braided my hair today, and it took 6 hours. I thought is was going to only take 3 hours, and that I would be able to go back to the orphange so I was really sad that I couldn’t. I even got emotional for a bit too. While the lady was braiding, Reverend Inccom was doing some kind of spiritual cleansing behind me I think. Because she started “ahhing” really loud. I am not sure what happened. Maybe I will ask later. When I was getting it braided, 5 or so girls stopped by the watch. They all called me friend. The hair dresser also called me friend, and we spoke for a bit. I gave her my card. After, Bertha and I played football for awhile. Then I ate dinner. I had oatmeal with sugar and jam to give it flavor and bread with jam. I then went over to Elvis’s house to read a paper-- one of the US Girls is writing about afterschool programs for the Free School that is being built. I now need to take a shower because I am very dirty and very tired. Tomorrow, I plan to work hard and learn much. I hope that I can start doing the medical clinic and school soon. I love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. I tried to Post a comment on your last letter but it didn't work. Therefore, I was able to post that comment on your 1st letter. So thought I would try again. We are following you very intensely(SP) Love Grampa

    ReplyDelete