Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Feb 12th-- Scarey Tro-tros! To Akasombo

February 12, 2010

Today was the scariest day in Ghana so far. We woke up and left at 6:30. Elvis drove Annika, Theresia, and I to the bus station in Cape Coast. Everything was normal until the bus to Accra came, and then the line that we were patiently waiting for 45 minutes became one huge mob. So the three of us Obronis tried to push our way through all of the line-cutters. Even though everyone knows when a person is cutting in line, no one stops it. I would, but you can just tell that if a local can’t stop it then an Obroni certainly won’t be able to. Because when a local disagrees with something from you, sometimes they will pretend to not understand you or English anymore. Five people were in front of us when the tickets sold out. We waited 20 more minutes until we decided to get a tro-tro for 4 cedi instead of 3 with the bus.
We got the back of the tro-tro so we felt all the bumps. Since there are usually never police cars to control the speed limits, they put speed bumps everywhere, and they are so bumpy!!! Getting into Accra, it was lots of traffic. I mean lots of it!!! People as usual walk in between cars, selling candy, picture frames watches, hangers, feminine products, everything!
Once we got off the tro-tro the fun began. The city was huge with lots of people. Not as friendly as Asebu, and we had to walk with our bags in front of us. We said a sad but happy goodbye to Thereseia and tried to find a tro-tro to Akosombo. . After being told many different things and running around, we took a tro-tro to the circle and got a tro-tro to Akosambo. Again, people misdirect you sometimes, and someone even said that we should head back to the first station we were at because no one here was going to Akasombo, but we found someone.
Again we got the back of the tro-tro. Except the traffic was worse, and the road was terrible. I even got a headache just from how bumpy it was. It then started to rain and thunder. Before it rained though, we were almost into two accidents because the driver was crazy and wouldn’t use his brakes earlier; he would slam on them when it was just close enough. When it started to rain, the driver hit a boy going about 40 or 50 miles per hour. I didn’t know what happened until the driver hit the brakes and launched everyone forward, and I saw the boy roll off the side of the road in pain. Annika and I were so scared and unsure of what to do. I was expecting the driver or the maid (the person who collects money) to get out and help him, but they did nothing. They sat there and just watched. The boy was walking around holding his stomach and hand. He then threw up. I asked “Are you not going help?” “Are you going to bring him to the hospital?” Finally, without assistance, the school boy, around 17, walked to the car and got in. I heard no “sorry’s” or “are you okay” kind of words. We just turned around, and then I figured we were driving to the hospital. We asked the maid, and he said yes. So with the rain and everything, the windows fog so much because of the humidity and you cannot see. No wonder the driver hit him! He can’t see. He didn’t roll down his windows because it was raining so he just uses a rag to wipe the windshield so he can see out.
On the way to the nearest hospital, 45 minutes away, he would swerve because he couldn’t see. Now I understand why people are nervous about tro-tros. So we waited at the hospital for an hour until the driver came back. We wanted to ask how the boy was, but he didn’t understand our question. Being 3 ½ hours behind, we were on our way to Akasombo. Thankfully, it wasn’t too far. We were hungry and tired and wanted to shower. We stayed at the Zito Guest House for 20 cedi a night or 10 cedi a person. I got spaghetti and ordered another meal because I was so hungry, but it never came. So we showered and then went to bed around 8 or 8:30. It was a very nice place but it was a long day. I also found out that the River tour was 30 cedi. I didn’t know it was going to be that much so I will need to go to the ATM. I also washed my hair with conditioner last night. I usually don’t because it is about 9 cedi per bottle, but it felt so good so I think I might get some since I will donate my hair when I get back. I don’t want my hair to be too trashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment