Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Feb. 16th--Cooking Food, Beatings & Discipline

February 16, 2010 Part 2

Annika and I then went to Cape Coast. I bought some candy for the kids and got more powdered milk and evaporated milk. We got back and then I had lunch. I ate spaghetti and egg and then some oatmeal. I am finally cooking for myself, and I can control when I am hungry. So I am no longer worried about being hungry anymore. What a blessing. In fact, Mrs. Incoom sat me down after I got home from the House and told me to never ever worry about when and what I eat. To just feel at home and not be hungry. I was happy to have that conversation with her.
At the house, I helped do home work with a reward of 2 stickers for anyone who finished their homework. So everything was going great until Elvis Senior showed up. Then the kids ran inside to clean up their rooms. They know that if their rooms aren’t clean that they are beaten by Elvis. When Elvis showed up, Annika was helping go through all of the kids’ clothes to throw away old cloths and give them new ones. So Elvis came inside and did some talking with the kids and then started caining them. Annika said that she had to leave the room because she could not see it. I could hear it outside because I was just on the other side of the wall. Then Elvis called Annika back to tell about how Clement and Elvis and Jospeh got in a fight this morning. Clement was being so hard to work with. Then I came in wondering why no one had come back to finish their homework. I then saw Elvis beat the children. Annika was going through Joseph’s bag of clothes. And for every shirt or pants that were dirty, we would get a cain on the calf of the head. I just wanted to grab that stick and break it in half.
Then we finished homework once he left. That took awhile, but I was proud of the kids because all of them did it. Joshua got beaten today in school because his homework wasn’t done, and then Elvis Senior found out and then Elvis beat him again. So I really need to work harder to make sure the kids who have homework get it done. Then I got home and made dinner. YUMMY!!! I made a carrot, tomato, onion, and cabbage omlette. It was so good. Then I had a side of cabbage and green beans. And then more oatmeal because I was still hungry.
I then came over to Elvis’s place to hang with Annika because neither of us like to be lonely. And some good news. Elvis knows one of the most popular Ghanian Gospel singers, and he is doing a fundraiser for the kids. This weekend, we will take 10 of the oldest kids to Accra and stay over Saturday night. Sometime during our stay, there will be a performance where the kids will probably be on stage. They have it set up that if you text some number, it will automatically withdraw 50 pesewas that is put into an account that will be given to the kids. So that is a great thing to do. Plus, Annika and I will come to help take care of the children.
Well I love you all so much and thanks again for everything that you are doing. I really appreciate it!!! Love you!!! Oh, and I was thinking. I came here to love the kids, right? I came with the idea that all I could is just love the kids with all my heart. But I have realized that loving them is the easy part. It is disciplining them that is the hard part. Because they are so used to violence, you have to find a way and be creative to find a way to discipline them while being their friend yet in charge. I am learning a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment