Sunday, February 7, 2010

February 3rd-- Children's Songs, Ants & Beatings

February 3, 2010

It was a very tiring day today. I woke up only a few times last night and got an okay sleep, but just not enough. I woke up a few minutes before my alarm at 5:55. I got up and headed over to pick up the girls. We walked up through the shortcut way (which by the way, a lady sells fan Milk if I haven’t already told you. That just makes Aseibu the best place ever!!) I helped make beds, get the kids washed, wash clothes and dishes. We headed out early around 8, but I was glad because I needed to go Pastor’s Assembly of God primary school to teach my music class. So I ate breakfast and went on my way not knowing what I was really going to be doing. So I “fake-e-o-so-ed” it. I toke a taxi for 60 pesewas when he asked for 2 cedi. So I am getting better at bargaining. Then I got a tro-tro to Asunansi when the school is. He drove me directly to the school for an extra 10 pesewas which was a good deal. Driving by, he yelled to a friend “Ah! This is my wife!”. And of course as you drive by, people always notice you, and the kids always call out obroni! Obroni! So I have just gotten used to waving now.
At the school, Fred welcomed and got me started with the older kids. I found out that they knew “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”. The ages for the older group is around 5-8 maybe. So today, we sang Twinkle Twinkle, I taught them London Bridge, Ring around the Rosies, and the Hokie Pokie. They really loved the Hokie Pokie. And the great part is that in Cape Coast, the first bridge to ever be made in Ghana supposedly is called London Bridge, so they can relate to the song… kind of. Fred would translate and teach some of the times. But it was fun. Going to the little age group, 1 year to 4 or so was a lot more difficult. No one knows English, and they don’t really sing along. So you just teach them actions and sing really loud, and they join in on the easy parts. But they are so dang cute!!! O I love the kids. So I was hoping that maybe mom and dad, you could look up the lyrics to children’s song that I might know because I know I know a lot of songs, but I just can’t remember them all and all the correct lyrics. Thanks!!! Then I went back to the older age group since they were back from lunch and we reviewed the songs. They really like Hokie Pokie, did I tell you!! ^_^
So I then said good bye to go look for Fred as to what to do. There the kids are so cute saying “bye-Bye”. The baby of the group, maybe 1 or so, was crying following after me. When I picked him, he had the happiest grin on his face. They are so cute. In Ghana, all of the children are very disciplined. At schools, they are taught English in this manor “How are you? We are fine. Thank you. And You? I am fine also. Thank you.” So anytime you ask someone, middle aged or small, they always so “I’m fine” in a certain way that reminds me of how they say it at school. So it is fun to play along with it.
Fred then rode with me back to the tro-tro station where I got a tro-tro for 40 or 60 pesewas. It was crowed but the people were friendly. One my way over there, an older man mention that I should come back to see him. He said “Come back to see me. Come back to see me!” A lot of people say that to you. Especially the older men. At home, I was very tired. I read a book, ate an orange, ate some crackers and then opened my can of tuna with the knife, having to scrape off all the ants that crawl around everywhere. I have just come to live with ants. Eating, sleeping, washing.
Since Mrs. Incoom wasn’t home, I didn’t really know what to eat so I was just snacking. I then cut a slice of bread and put jam on it. I am going to try and find peanut butter soon so I can make a PB and J. We then said good bye to AnneLouise. I will be very sad to not have her around anymore. She was such a blessing in my life.
I then checked to see if my dresses were ready, but the power was out so they said they couldn’t finish, even though the sewing machines are cranked by hand, but that doesn’t matter. I am in no rush. Well, you really can’t be here. I then took an hour break, headed over to hang with the girls, chilled for a little bit, and we left, got a fan Yogo, Theresa is having Annika making another dress for her so we dropped off the cloth and went to the House. There we helped with homework, washed more clothes making sure their socks and uniforms were clean and played with more Playdough.
Elvis came by. He came up with a stick in his hand. He told us how Joshua was leaving his shoes outside and not taking care of them, and then he should beat him for it. And then he went off about a lot of different things --the whole time beating the table with the stick. Immediately, I just stopped respecting what he was saying at the moment because I will not respond to such disrespect for myself and my fellow volunteers and especially children from such violence. I am very displeased in Elvis for that, but that is what he believes in I guess. Theresa was there also when he was talking and beating his stick on the table and we both asked “Can you throw the stick away or for me I said I don’t use sticks”. So it is different. We stayed until 5:45 and now it is almost 7:30 for when I should leave. I will be staying at the House alone tonight to take care of the kids. I am not too nervous, but I certainly am tired so I hope they are good tonight, but if not, I can’t really change that. I love them so much. While I still count the days to when I get home, I am turning more into counting the days in dread from when I have to leave the children. I want to take them home with me and give them a good life where they can get a good education and be whatever they want to be without being suppressed by the education and schooling they receive.
So it was a good day today. I am tired but that is why I am here. I got a blister from draining clothes, so maybe I will only wash instead of doing the last staining to hang the cloths. But things are good here. I am starting to feel a little bit more at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment