Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Feb 23-- HIV/AIDS teaching and Goodbye, Jessica,

February 23, 2010
The day started out usual. Woke up at 6 and left for the House around 6:20. We got there and found out that the place had not been cleaned by Ester. And that also Ruth was sweeping, which is Ester’s job. So we were a little disappointed in her because she is getting paid for it so we again decided to not wash again. I later found out that Junior had talked too Ester. Ester was saying out loud “Oh! Those white women did not wash the clothes this morning!” Junior said “Ester, it is your job to wash. When Goeorgina was here, you would wash.” Then Ester said “Well Georgina isn’t here.” So my assumptions were right earlier about how I was thinking that Ester was getting used to our service and was using us and not working herself.
After breakfast I went to the clinic around 8. I got there and then left for the school around 9 after taking a few vitals; someone’s blood pressure again was around 150/80. Walking up there, the nurse and I were talking. She told me that I would be giving the shots. So when we got there we sat down next to the teachers. We all opened the AIDS flyer for when they give lectures about HIV/AIDS awareness. WOW!!!! It is very blunt. Here, sex is not an uncomfortable or secretive thing. In fact, nothing really is. The culture is just blunt.
So I got there and I administered about 40 tetanus shots to young women ages from 14-18. The fear of needles is similar here. Although, I wonder since they usually never see them, I think they fear them a little more. Mrs. Incoom came up also because she teaches ICT classes there and took a few pictures too. I will try and get those to you soon.
After that, I left to go hang up my clothes. Around 11:45 I headed to Cape to Meet Jessica. Jessica is leaving to live in Accra from now on for the rest of my stay and so I wanted to take her to lunch before she left. So Instead of going straight to eat like I was planning because I needed to Met Austin to exchange pictures, she met me in the next town from where I took a taxi from Cape to Barabonsa. She met me and then we walked to her hostel. A hostel is where school students live. So this was second and third year girls hostel for the nursing school. It was crazy to see Ghanain dorms. It was like college… I guess because it was. But very small, very hot. In fact, they weren’t really rooms. The ceiling was left open to let air flow to everyone so all of the hall was connected. It was really good for me to see. To understand the differences more in Ghanain and American schools. We are so lucky in America. Even just a household living is so different. I am so appreciative of everything I have at home. I pray that I will never take advantage of the washer and dryer, my huge room, bed, running water, flushing toilet, having a door for the bathroom. Even having a mirror is a luxury too.
So we waited in her room and watched a movie and played a game for a bit until we decided to leave. We took a taxi back to the northwest side of Cape and went to a Bar and Grill to eat. Now the bars are different here. Every place is either “fast food” (which in Ghanain means 10 or 15 minutes is fast) or it is a bar or chop bar. It serves food in the day, and at night it becomes a dance place. So it is safe to go to. I got fried rice and chicken and Jessica got Potato Chips (French fries) and chicken for 6 cedi each. And we both got Alvaro Pineapple Pop. There is also this thing they do here. They have the lettuce that is cut up real small and they put ketchup and mayo on it. It is very interesting as a dressing but actually, I like it. It is only a small amount though to give it flavor.
So I bought the meal and we headed out. We had such a great talk. I am really going to miss her so much. She has become such a good friend of mine. She is smart, beautiful, talented, and a good person in general. I pray that her goals can come true and practice medicine out ide of Ghana. I also found out that she is treasurer for her class as well. So she is the kind of person to notice and care for everyone, everyone also knows her as the kindest, hard working person too. She isn’t out right out-going but she is confident. While talking today, she gave me great advice that I seem to have forgotten. I was telling her about how I couldn’t decide whether to do law or medicine and if medicine, what kind. She said “Pray to God. He knows everything.” Coming from her mouth, it meant something to me and struck me hard. That all this time I was trying to figure out something without the Lord. But Jessica invited me to come to Accra with her and travel the city some time. So I will definitely do that one of these weekends. She said she and her two cousins will go with me to the mall, which I have heard it is like an American mall.
After lunch, I took a tro-tro to Yomarnsa Junction and then another to Asebu. Of course, the usual Obroni attention. I am trying to learn patience with it because most of it is given in kindness. Getting there, I hurried to the house because I was almost an hour late. I got there and Annika was walking down with Co-Joe and Junior to give Co-Joe his vaccination shots. Ester was supposed to go to the Clinic with Co-joe this morning too. I just wonder what she does all the time because I usually don’t see her working anymore. But tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday, Co-Joe will get his vaccinations.
I then helped Ruth with her heat rash. It is just everywhere. I keep thinking about just giving them my fan but I know that I will not be able to sleep without it. I feel horrible because sometimes they cry of the itch and pain from it. So when I will leave, I will leave them my fan. I would go buy them one, but the problem is there are two rooms and you need to get a big one. So that would cost around 100 cedis to get two good fans. After we left the house, I came home and Mrs. Incoom taught me how to make fried rice. I have ALWAYS wanted to make good fried Rice. And this stuff is good. Here is how I made it:
Little oil in pot and heat. Cut up onion and brown the small onion pieces. Put in 2 cups of white Rice Uncle Sam. Mix around for a little bit. Once mixed, add water to about one or two inches above the rice, depending. Mix in Dark Soy Sauce and salt until you like the color and taste. Let cook with a lid for 15-20 minutes. Once finished, pull off heat and cover. While doing this, cut up green beans, carrot, and spring onion. Then in pan, heat up oil and place vegetables in pan until cooked. Then add a little Maggi Seasoning Sauce. Mix. Add rice. Mix. Add Maggi Seasoning Sauce until it tastes right. Then you are done.
I made it for the family tonight too. I am kind of proud and very full!!! I am so going to keep this recipe. For the rest of the night, I will finish emailing, making the fundraiser video, and working with Bertha on ICT and Mrs. Incoom with pictures. Love you and have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment