Sunday, February 7, 2010

January 29--Pee, Plantains & a Funeral

January 29, 2010

Sleeping at the House last night was pretty okay. Nothing compared to the first time. Cho-go was up every few hours, and then he peed just as usual. Ruth lost her tye-dye uniform that they wear on Friday’s, and so AnneLouise wrote a note to the teacher hoping that she wouldn’t get beaten for it. I then came back and had breakfast. It was boiled plantain and some kind of soup. I just couldn’t eat the soup and then plantain soon lost its taste. I have found that the only things I can eat and actually not be hungry after is oats, rice, plantain, bread and egg sandwiches, and then Mrs. Incoom popped some popcorn which was a very nice treat. I also love the treats they sell on the streets. Like the ground nuts, friend yam, Fan Yogo, and sweet rolls. I want to try more, but I will do that as time goes on. After breakfast I slept on the couch watching a Soap Opera with Pe-Pe and Mrs. Incoom for almost 2 hours. I then went to hang out with Austin, AnneLouise, Annika and Elvis at Elvis’s house. We then looked to find some Fan Yogo on the way up, but we couldn’t find the person who sells it locally. I went up to the House where Pricilla peed on my lap, and then I started feeling sick and I decided to come back home. Annika said she has a medicine that will solve what I have. Annika and I were going to sleep at the House tonight but it looks like Annika wants to or we will just have Ester do it. Tomorrow we leave at 6 on a Tro-tro for Cape Coast then to the rock shrine. And also, Theresa was talking about something that women wear called Underwear beads. Or At least that is our nickname. So she got me some to show me what they are. Each strand of beads is like 30 pesewas, so really cheap. They are small beads of a single color, mine is green, and you tie them around your waist and keep them on all the time. For little girls, they wear them so that they will have big hips and be very beautiful. Older women wear them because they are attractive. It is kind of like lacey underwear to them when a man accidently sees them and it is attractive, I guess. So I am glad to have it to bring back and show you but I am not going to wear it!!! For the rest of the day, I talked with Mrs. Incoom about religion for about 2 hours and then had rice for dinner. I will be going to their church not this Sunday, but next. And then we went to the House where loud speakers will be playing all night. A person died and so tonight, Friday, is the night they will stay awake all night, and it just happens to be right next to the House. Poor AnnLouise and the children. I hope they sleep alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment