Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Feb 24th-- No Syrup, Pennywhistles, Annika's Party

February 24, 2010

We woke up and did the usual. This time, Ester bathed before Junior, who needed to get ready for school. So that was a little disrupting. But then she got ready for the day, and I asked her if she was going to help wash now because we always wash alone (giving the hint that you need to start helping or we will stop all together with your chores) She said she was going to take Co-Joe to the clinic to get his vaccination, part 1 of 3. But it was 7:40 a.m. ,and they wanted her at 9 so I knew that it was another way to get out of working. But that is okay for today, and we washed.
After washing, I came home and actually made homemade pancakes!!! Thanks, mom, for the recipe. I was able to get baking powder, and I used evaporated and powdered milk for the milk. They tasted pretty good!!! So it was an American breakfast today. I had scrambled eggs, four pancakes with peanut butter (no syrup and you know how much I love syrup. I should have brought a bottle) and a glass of milk.
Mrs. Incoom and I then talked about how her ICT class that she teaches is going well but that it is hard. Imagine trying to teach students how to type and how to click and drag an Icon on a computer if you have never either seen or touched a computer. So she asked if she could borrow. I said yes, knowing that she would take such good care of it. And I told her that on any day she needed it to just let me now. It is so surprising. I thought I would only come here to help the kids, but it seems that no matter where you go, your neighbors, loved ones, strangers, and even yourself will always need help. I like it. The Incooms are my family forever.
I then took a tro-tro to ABK (abakrampa) and met an old guy who insisted on getting me to Asebu. Of course he did this is thinking I would pay for him. But I laughed it off knowing that I have been asked many times to pay people’s fares. I got to Asebu and started teaching the older kids. We did the usual songs, and then I taught them music theory. We reviewed 5 lines, treble clef, notes, and then I taught them Whole note, Half Note, Quarter Note, and Eighth Note. I was concerned once I started that they would not understand, so I made up a game. I said every time I say Whole Note it means you clap four times, because in music it gets four counts. A half note gets two claps, quarter one clap, and eighth note doesn’t get a clap. So we played a game using the Pennywhistles. Again, Mom and Dad, I am so thankful for you making me learn music and then bring the Pennywhistles to Africa. You have blessed me and in turn, blessed many lives. With the Pennywhistles, I grabbed three kids from the line and then I would say Whole Note. And they would blow four times. If someone did not blow four times, they were out and the next person would come. We went through the whole class doing this until we got to the winner. I then had them blow out tunes Like Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, or Mary Had a Little Lamb, again trying to connect them to realize what music is. I am also trying to teach them not to hit or push one another. They push and shove so hard here, not like kids at home. So when they push, we stop singing or playing games. I am trying to teach them that.
I then took a tro-tro straight to Asebu, much cheaper, on 70 pesewas or known as 7000 (seven thousand) in the old currency. You need to know both here. It is strange when I hear someone say a piece of bread is 10,000. But it means only 1 cedi. I am glad they changed the currency. After that, I worked on the video I am working on for Noble, the famous gospel singer. I showed Annika and Elvis, they said it would be great. I am so grateful for Elder Miller and the Miller family for introducing me into film making. I only know the very basics, but that is so helpful here. Oh and Fred also bought me a donut thing for on the way to Asebu. It was nice of him because I was hungry. It was like a whole half a loaf cooked in oil, I think palm oil though. So it is so unhealthy but it tastes good every once in a while.
I then headed up to the House around 3. I helped hurry the kids with homework and sewed on a couple of badges to the kids uniforms. We then went to Elvis’s house to watch the rest of Lion King. Annika bought fresh fruit, watermelon, pineapple, and oranges and some ground nuts, for the kids. This was kind of her farewell party so she wanted to give the kids some things they usually never have. They actually didn’t like the watermelon too much because they are not used to it. It was good, but when it came time for her to say goodbye she cried a little. Angolina did not want to leave her side, and she started crying. I think it was Angolina’s first time having to say goodbye to a volunteer. She must have made an attachment. She stayed at the gate until I had to close the door, waiting to see the last glimpse of Annika. It was so sad. But Annika and the others are okay. Annika will call me often while I am here to check up on the kids I think. I then ate a dinner that the girls served at Elvis’s. It was a good local dish.
I then came home where Fred was not feeling well. I gave him water, a toffee for quick sugar level and a vitamin. I hope it helps. I will then have oats tonight I think for dinner and then go to bed as early as possible. Tomorrow morning, I will go to the House for a short while, interview Annika and then travel with her and maybe Mrs. Incoom to Accra in Sammy’s taxi. Sammy is a good local friend of Elvis’s. Mrs. Incoom is also going to Accra and might travel with us even on the Metro. So I will be gone until Saturday night so don’t worry about me not emailing or anything. And I will call when I get back on Saturday!!! Everyone laughs now when I am gone overnight to make sure that I have called my mom. It is really funny!!!! But it is so wonderful to know how concerned you are. But Friday will mark my half way completion. It is crazy that I have been counting up the days and now I start to count down. 3 months seems long when you think about all you could do but here, it is so short. Because there I so much to do. Some days are so long, but at the end of the day, you realize it was too short. I love the kids too much I think!!! Hahaha… it is going to be hard to say goodbye. I am not excited for it. I think it might be the hardest bye-bye for me. I love you all so much!!! Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment