Friday, March 12, 2010

Mar. 11th--Trip to Kumasi

March 11, 2010

We went to Kumasi the last two days. We traveled on the Metro bus for 4 cedi’s. It turns out that only Austin and I went. A small group was actually really nice in such a big city. On the Metro, we took the back seats for more leg room. That was such a horrible idea because we hit all the bumps. The driver would slow down for the front of the bus and then would speed up and the back would hit the bumps!! We went air born two times, and I got whip lash once. The road there is just horrible. Once we got there, I found out that one of Austin’s roommates, E-fe-us, had a friend in Kumasi. His name was Junior. He is in his first year of college. He picked us up after we wandered around in Kumasi for about half an hour. Immediately, I liked Kumasi. In Accra, you feel like your life could be in danger or that your bags at least are in danger. But in Kumasi, while it is still huge, people mind their own business. So it was like Accra in that there are literally mobs of people, but people just don’t care about you or what you are doing. But they are still friendly. You just have to push your way through. And since I have never been to a large town, other than Salt Lake City which doesn’t really have mobs of people, it is a cool experience to be here and experience it. I actually don’t mind the big city so much anymore. But I still do not want to live there. So I think that Kumasi is the New York of Ghana.
Junior picked us up, drove us to our hotel named Arena Lodge. It was super nice and for a room with a fan it was 15 cedi. Austin got another room with AC for 20 cedi. It was so nice. A bed, headrest, fridge, tv, breakfast table, bathroom with toilet, shower and curtain.
After checking in and dropping some stuff off, we went to the Ashanti Palace Museum. That was so cool. I learned about the kings and mother queens. Here, only the mother’s side is considered royalty and gets the throne. We learned about how they dress with all of the goods, how they are carried in basket with four strong men, and we saw the drum from 300, 200, 100 year old drums. They were used communication drums since they didn’t have phones, they would use these drums to send signals with a distance of 5 kilometers and then the next place’s messenger would hear the news and do the same message on his drum to the next 5 kilometers. This way, all of Ghana could have the message within 3 or 4 hours. It was so cool to see them. Being so old and having so much history. We learned about Kenti cloth and how each design has a name and a meaning. We learned about other cloth designs. Some mean courage, some mean rebellion, some mean faithfulness (the moon and sun), some mean harmony (two lizards on top of each other). We then saw guns that are a hundred years old. In a movie we saw a lot of history. We read about the golden stool. The history of the Golden stool is that some leader of the Ashati tribe called up to the sky to have this stool dropped on the lap of the next king. It was a man who as a baby was born with dread locks. The stool had the meaning that the Ashanti region would not live under war if it was kept. So then when the British came, they wanted the Golden stool. So to not cause any war with the British, they gave them a replica with gold on. The British returned the stool, only after taking the gold off and keeping it for themselves.
The other thing we learned about was the sword. Some king had this sword and placed it in the ground in front of the car and said for it to stop. Since then, it has never moved. The sword has never been removed from the ground. It also stands as a witness that if it is ever removed from the ground, the Ashanti region will no longer be in peace. A small building is built around it. A business man a made a hotel on the ground, his name is Mr. G, he decided to try and dig up the sword. It is supposedly said that when he was digging around it, it disappeared for two months and then randomly came back. Then, Muhammad Ali came and tried to pull it out of the ground and he couldn’t do it. So it is similar to the American Story of Sword in the Stone except you don’t want the sword to come out.
We then went to the Cultural Center and went to a museum there and learned more of how they make food, pictures, and other old artifacts. It was very cool. I then bought some more wood carvings and a djemba drum. We then also ate at the Vic’s Bamboo Café. It is highly recommended in Bradt guide. I ordered a 4 season pizza for 11 cedi. It is super expensive but it was so good!!! I miss pizza!!!
We then went to the Open market. That place is huge. I found some great fabric that I saw Jana had and I really wanted it and I found it. I also bought 30 cedi worth of beads. They are so pretty. I am excited to bring them back. After the Market, we went back to Vic and I got a chicken and rice and bought a necklace and pineapple. Although, I bought two I think they took the second one so I got ripped off, but I should just learn from the experience. I also got a burger and fries at one of the gas stations.
We then tried to find another Metro to Cape, but it already left and then tried for an STC but there was no other ones going out. So we got a ford bus (meaning a bigger more comfortable tro-tro). It had cheater seat covers and it was 9 cedi. Very expensive because it was going to Takaradi and you have to pay the full fair. But they dropped me off at Asebu because it was at night, and I just walked home I came home and I was super tired. I set my stuff down and just quickly checked Facebook.
On the way on the tro-tro, back we met two really nice guys working with the colleges. One was British named Caine and the other was Ghanian named Cris. They are working with sister colleges. Caine has been to Ghana 5 times and about 8 other African countries. He has traveled to many other countries too. Today, Austin and I want to go to Elmina and go swimming very badly. I decided to not go to the Orphanage today because I also told the kids I wouldn’t be there until Friday and I need some time to organize and clean my things, and also some other random things that I need to do in Cape. So I think today I will organize and then go tomorrow morning and then hopefully the New Germans volunteers are here and I can start introducing them to Ghana. Maybe go to Cape Castle on Saturday. Austin wants to come along too and show them around as well. But things are going so well.
I couldn’t wait to get home and go to my bed at Asebu. I feel at home here. I really do. Not to say that I am still excited to be back in the States, but I am happier here. The next month might be long because I am anticipating the whole getting back and going to school, but it will be more enjoyable I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment