Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mar. 7th-- Tro-tro Mix-Up, Church and Football

March 7, 2010

Today has been a very surprising day. I was expecting the normal, slow-paced day, which it was, but there was a lot that happened. I woke up at 5:45 because I no longer wanted to sleep I guess but I was still tired because I could not fall asleep last night. So I laid in bed until 7. I then got up, put on a Ghanian dress and ate some rice from last night.
I then went to the roadside and picked a tro-tro to ABK for church. Little did I know they were not heading to ABK. So when we had just barely passed the turn, I looked at the maid and said “ABK? Is this going to ABK?” He said no and the driver stopped. I guess I got the maid in trouble because I didn’t have to pay anything to the junction. So I walked back to the BAK junction and didn’t have to wait at all for the next real tro-tro to ABK. Oh Ghana! I then got to church where I was greeted by Sister Elcee. I did not remember her name at first, or Sister Alice. You can imagine how many people I meet and for me to remember everyone’s name is hard, even if they have given it to me a few times. I have never been really all that good with names though. So she joking gave me a hard time. Brother and Sister Saunders then gave their quick testimonies in Fante. Even though I didn’t understand, both of their testimonies brought my eyes to tears. This is such a marvelous work! What a blessing missionaries are. I continued to read from The Miracle of Forgiveness. I have read two chapters today. The other things that I have forgotten to mention about church is that there is a crippled boy who has to walk on his hands and then a deaf, elderly man. You see it a lot in Ghana, if someone is crippled, they walk with their hands. One lady in Asebu is crippled the same way and she takes her flip flops from her feet and puts them on her hands, and then continues to put a have bucket or basket on her head and walk up hills. Today, this boy bore his testimony in church. He is always so happy. The deaf man gave the prayer last week too. I just can’t imagine what it would be like to be deaf in Ghana. The other cool thing I saw in church was that Brother Saunders told me that the lady sitting next to me was an investigator and had brought her three children three weeks ago. She said that she woke up one night when the spirit had come to her in her sleep and told her to go to this church. What a crazy story!! Everyone has a story though!!! I pray that she will continue in her investigation with the family.
After church, I waited to get a ride with the second taxi with the Saunders. Turned out he drove up on some sand and high centered the car and cut his hand trying to get it off only succeeding with the help of ten local neighbors. While waiting, I once again, got the whole history of Ghana. I think I have heard it 5 times. The Ghanian people really like to talk about their history. And I have learned that once you get a stranger talking to you, they just never stop. So I just listened and nodded for about 45 minutes. It was a one-way conversation. One I have had many times.
After church, I came home and ate oats and waited to leave with the Incooms to go watch the football match in ABK. So we went and watched Pastor’s team. It was fun to see how they use school desks as bleachers, how people cheer and yell for their team, and how they play. I got a lot on tape. It was 2 to 2. We then stayed awhile, left to go see where the team was staying. It was not a very nice place for them. They had no mattresses-- meaning sleeping on the cement; no curtains so when it rains it floods the floor they’re sleeping on. I also learned that for the 30 or so of them, it cost a little more than 1,000 cedis a month for them. That is so cheap. But then again, I even wonder how they got the money. But it is a very good project Pastor is doing. So we left after it got dark. Later than I expected. David, who I wrote that really long volunteer letter for because I thought he was going with Cosmic, turns out he was the guy from the Labardi Beach that really, I mean REALLY annoyed Annika and I. So now he is calling me. I have ignored about 30 or 40 or his calls the last week but I decided to pick up tonight. Turns out he wanted to visit Asebu to say hi and good bye before I left. I said plainly, maybe because he was just annoying me already “I am not comfortable with that. So that would actually not be okay.” He was surprised. So I said good night. He then called back asking for Scott’s email. Ahh!!! I thought he said he already signed up!!! So now he is going to call again!!! So I wish I had never had that email sent to him because I wasn’t sure if it was him or not. Well my bad.
Mrs. Incoom and I had been talking the whole day. We were talking about Bertha and how worried both of us were. There are some personal items that I will not note but I am planning on trying to help the communication barrier between Mrs. Incoom and Bertha. Bertha is not happy and both Pastor and Mrs. Incoom, me included, are worried. And I already knew that Bertha does not wish to be here or to resolve her issues with Mrs. Incoom so I was relieved when Mrs. Incoom asked me to talk to Bertha and then also be a mediator for them both to sit down and discuss. Although, I asked Berth about 20 minutes ago, when I started this email, if she could come outside with me, and she has not yet come. So I don’t know what is happening. But wish me luck on whatever happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment