Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More Mar 1st-- Stealing from Orphans--ugh!

March 1st, continued--
After my research, I then sat and watched tv for a little. They were watching Jurassic Park. Oh, that movie was so scary to me when I was little. I then talked with Mrs. Incoom about Elvis and the kids. I have become confused about the Ghanian culture. There is such a lack of communication and pride about the people, in general, not in everyone I am sure though. But if someone tarnishes your name, even if the gossip is not true, then the whole community will not speak or even look at you. You name will be a disgrace. The Incoom’s and Elvis and both such good people, tyring to do good in this world. But because of the lack of communication, they cannot be true good neighbors. Elvis is too busy. But I will just have to live with that part of Ghana and not fight it. I then talked with Elvis. I sat him down and we talked about Ester and how she takes advantage of the kids. She takes the money and pockets it sometimes and when Elvis buys the food in bulk, she has been giving it away. So she is stealing from the kids. If we were in America, she would be charged with a crime or at least fired. But here, it is tolerated. I do not know why. But I guess because Elvis cannot find anyone else. AHH!!!! I really just want the kids to be taken care off. But in Ghana, things take longer.
At the house, I then knew that we needed to work and not play. Even though I wanted to play, there was too much to be done. So I cleaned their rooms, because they all say “I lost my brush… I lost my shoes!!” I then washed socks and got my fingers a little sore. I then fetched about 7 or 8 pails of water. Then Elvis came and talked with the kids. It was like a council. They reported about school and the house-- if there were problems or not. It is nice that Elvis’ comes, but I wish he would do it more often. I found out that it is true that if the new orphanage is not built by the next few months time, that the kids will be left on the street-- no food, no money, no shelter, love, or safety unless something else can be figured out. So when I get back, I really pray that I can do fundraising well. I will try big and small businesses, local school and stores. Anything I can do. Because here, a hundred dollars can do so much. Even just a dollar, something so small to us, can actually feed half of my kids one dinner a night. So small a thing could help so much. I pray that since the fundraiser will be 100% of the proceeds to the kids and since it is a private donation, people might be more willing to give. But I still need to figure out all of the legal stuff for it though.
Also during the council, I had another glimpse of Heaven. I saw the kids in a different light. Their faces were glowing and a voice whispered not in words, but in feelings “These are God’s children. Just as talented, just as beautiful and smart.” I am so grateful for that reminder. I love them so much. I now have less than a month and a half. It is long yet so short.
Elvis then drove us down and bought some things for the kids at the store. I came home and called mom. At which point, I promptly wanted to cry because everything was so different. I am so grateful for my parents. They are one of the greatest blessings Heavenly Father has given me. They know how to comfort me, to love, to give me guidance. She said some very needed things to me that I needed to hear.
I am now at home and I might ask if I can have a Ghanian dish. Because for the past three weeks, I have only had spaghetti, oats, bread, PB and J and then the once pancakes and French toast. So I need a little balance. I think meat or some kind of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment