Monday, March 1, 2010

Feb. 27th-- Goodbye Annika, and Accra

February 27, 2010

For a quick review of the weekend, Annika, Mrs. Incoom, and I took the Metro Bus to Accra. It was a little crowed but so much nicer than a tro-tro. Mrs. Incoom got off at a village before Accra to meet Pastor. Then Annika and I were dropped off at Karnation Station. There we found a taxi for 5 cedis to Salvation Army Hostel. He didn’t know where it was so we had to get out our map and help the driver. We got there and the room was like a dorm with 7 or 8 beds. I guess it is a “hostel” meaning very cheap, but you separate into gender-based rooms. Mom said hostels are popular in Europe.
We got there and then went to eat at Papyae. It was like a fast food place. It was interesting to see the staff wearing goofy hats, red pants, and yellow striped aprons. It was like a 1990 American Fast food. We got French fries, coleslaw and fried chicken. Oh it was good. After that, we checked on the internet café. It was pretty fast. After that, we headed back and found that we had a roommate. She is from Michigan and named Sam. She is a student in Cape Coast studying African Studies and other things. It was great to talk to her because I wondered what it would be like to be a student here. She said that it was okay other than they study so hard to just memorize. They do not do outline forms or study like we usually do. It is dictation. The teacher reads from the book and the students copy word for word and then memorize. But I think that is all they know since that is the way everyone is taught. So it was good for me to see Jessica’s dorm room and how they sleep and how she likes studying to be a nurse and then talking with Sam about being a student. At first, I thought if given the chance to come to Ghana and study, I might do it. But I am having second thoughts.
For the rest of the night we went to bed early although Sam left alone at night in Accra to get food and she wasn’t back until 11 or 12. We were so worried. We asked her if she wanted us to come and told her it was dangerous, but she has been here 8 months or something, and I think maybe she has gotten too comfortable. But then again, she looks half black. So maybe it is not as dangerous. But either way, both Annika and I couldn’t sleep until she got home.
The next morning we woke up early and got ready. We tried to find food but no one was open at that early. Then we walked around and Annika got a good cup of Cappicino she said for 4 cedi 50 pesewas. Expensive. We then went next door to a place called Venus. It was a bar and grill. It was super nice. But we ordered French toast for 6 cedi and it was only two small slices. Way too much for that. We were still hungry and got some street food.
We then started to go shopping. Of course, everyone hisses and kisses at you, saying to come. All the men have lines “White girl, where are you going? White women, what is your name? Obroni, come here!” They are so persistent though. A few times, when I ignored them, a man grabbed me and pulled me to come and talk with him and have me look at what he was selling. Then another boy followed us for five minutes trying to convince us to buy a bracelet. He said “ Do you not think I am a good guy? Are you not nice? You should buy from me. We are now friends. You are my Ghanian sister.” All of these are very common. I started to look at prices for drums and played a few djembes. It was really fun. They asked me if that is how they play in the states. I said “I am not very good, but that is what I have learned” and then they showed me how they play a beat.
After shopping we went back home and then took a taxi to Labardi beach for 4 cedi. There, I decided to buy a swim suit that was the most modest I could find. And it works just fine. It covers stomach, front, legs. It works good for only 6 cedi. We then met David and he was interesting. Both Annika and I just wanted to get away from the whole “Let’s talk and meet with the Obroni” because we were so tired and wanted to come to the beach to relax. But he didn’t get the hint. Even when we said, we are tired we want to relax. And then at one point I said, “Thanks David for everything. I learned a lot, but I need to rest now. It was good talking to you. Have a good day.” He just sat there. And then started to talk again. He really likes talking. But he eventually went on his way. He seems like a great guy. Maybe next time when I am not so tired I will have enough energy to talk to a local for a few hours about Ghana traditions.
After the beach, we got a taxi to Papaye again and this time I got the rice instead of the potato because you get more food that way. I was full. We bought plantain chips on the way and water for later that night if we get hungry. When we got back to the Hostel, Jana (pronounced Ya-na) was also staying there in our room. She is a friend of Annika’s SYTO. They didn’t think they would see each other again because she left, but there they were. I really like Jana. I said that we should travel together if she wants. We then talked for a while. Well, they did mainly in German but it made me laugh. They are so funny and great people. We then met two more German girls that were staying in our room. They talked for awhile and spoke English every once in awhile. I then made a few calls and went to bed.
The light kept coming on and off the last few days. Here, they say “Light off” or “Light On” anytime the electricity goes off. So I was hoping it would stay on tonight because last night without a fan it was SOOO hot. But last night is was great. Everyone else was cold and I felt so bad once I found out. But I was still a little warm. I woke up around 5 and couldn’t get back to sleep. I think I was a little anxious. And I also had some nightmares, and then Annika said I talked in my sleep a lot. Once, I was saying, “Annika, Annika, we need to get up. We need to fetch water. The kids need to get ready to go to school.” She then said, “Lauren, we don’t need to go to the orphanage today.” And I guess I said I am sorry, I was sleeping. And went back to sleep.
For the rest of the day, we got up, got some food off the street. This time fried bread and egg. It was good. Jana and I then went to an internet café again and Annika went back to sleep. I think she hasn’t been sleeping because she is so nervous about leaving. Leaving after being here for 6 months would be a little nerve wracking. I then bought some pineapple going back. It was so good. It is sweet and always juicy here.
We then packed and then walked down the street. I said goodbye to Annika as she walked to SYTO office and Jana and I took a tro-tro to Circle. Then at circle, we eventually found a way to get to Karnation Station. A young man helped us. He was such a blessing. He even took the tro-tro form Circle to Carnation. After awhile, I found a tro-tro to Cape. And Jana was going to Winneba. So she took a different to not pay as much. By the time I got to Winneba, she was just barely leaving because the tro-tro had not yet filled up. Here, if the tro-tro is not yet full of people, you will wait until it is. So she waited 2 hours until it was full. Waiting in the car, hot and sweating. It is so unhealthy.
But then I got to Cape Coast. I called Austin about our plans for this week. He says to travel to Mole would be great. But then Bertha reminded me about their Independence Day this Saturday so I don’t know anymore if we can do it this weekend. I then went to the bank and withdrew some money and then I decided to cheer myself up by talking with a local. So I stopped by a lady who makes clothes and sells other things and we talked. I bought some things from her and we have become friends. Her name is Ottelia. Everytime I pass by now I will wave. I gave her my card. I then was tired and just wanted to go home. Once home, it was an amazing feeling. Like at home in USA, after a hard day, you just want your bed, your couch, your chair, you glass of milk. Well, when I got here, I felt at home. I had my bed, my couch my bowl. It was nice. I then unpacked. I have so many clothes to wash tomorrow. I then talked with Bertha for awhile. I ate some oats and then some PB and J. And then bought some bread. I also had some Ghanian Chocolate. I will bring some back. It tastes good and different to me.
For the rest of the night, I am watching Narnia and Bertha will cook Plantain and Beans. I am excited for her to cook because I am tired and actually, a Ghanian dish sounds good. I will then go to bed and go to church tomorrow. I haven’t gone in two or so weeks because of kids and travel so I am sure I will have to answer many questions because people are so friendly. But I was sure to tell Elder and Sister Saunders each weekend so they wouldn’t worry- just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment